atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Batspiderfish

Re: Are dorylus queen fully claustrial?

Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 am

No they are not claustral nor semi-claustral. Dorylus reproduce by budding, where the old queen takes half the colony and the new queens take the other half (all but one will be killed off). One colony may only produce one viable queen every 1-2 years. This is why it is not ecologically sound for hobbyists to keep army ants from Dorylinae. On top of that, army ants have never been able to adapt to captivity.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsSA

Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am

Ok I was just wondering
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

xTNxANTMANx

Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 am
No they are not claustral nor semi-claustral. Dorylus reproduce by budding, where the old queen takes half the colony and the new queens take the other half (all but one will be killed off). One colony may only produce one viable queen every 1-2 years. This is why it is not ecologically sound for hobbyists to keep army ants from Dorylinae. On top of that, army ants have never been able to adapt to captivity.
That's amazing. I've never heard of ants "budding" to reproduce. But the way you described it I could see where the term budding is used LOL. Pretty cool how they split the colony in half in order to reproduce. I would have never thought that. Just goes to show you learn something new every day. Do they just separate into two colonies or do they separate into multiple? I see where you said the NEW Queens will take a half but do they just keep splitting from there or do they eventually just keep killing the Queen's until one is left to run that half of the colony? You said all but one will be killed off...the newer queens Im assumeing
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Thu May 11, 2017 10:30 am

Only one of the new queens which branch away from the old queen will survive to continue the colony. I'm pretty sure they only split that one time.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.