New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20880Post XxStrongHeroxX
Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Well recently there was some rain a few days ago and i had a quick ideal, What if i made a trench and build it so queens walk into it and fall and can not get out. Here is a picture (Ignore the Sand im in a drought)
http://prntscr.com/f60izk
How it works : Queens walk into the trench and think they can get out, (The edges are at a angle of about 95 Degrees) They try to clime out and they cant grab onto anything and fall off. Check maybe two three times a day to see if you catch anything.

Yes there may be some flaws but i do not know any of them for now, It may also might not work in dirt but it did for me in sand.

What i caught from it was a invicta and a brachymyrmex queen. Both were very active and had no wings.
American

Martialis
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20884Post Martialis
Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Cool. How deep is this trap? The length of the trench? I'm intrigued by this. What's it made of?
Keeper of

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis

Tetramorium caespitum

Crematogaster sp.

Selliing:

Stennama sp.

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20887Post XxStrongHeroxX
Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Martialis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm
Cool. How deep is this trap? The length of the trench? I'm intrigued by this. What's it made of?
trench is about 10 - 13 feet long and is about 5 inches deep. Its just made of top soil which is sandy for me
American

User avatar
Aquaexploder
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20920Post Aquaexploder
Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 am

Cool
Founding:

Camponotus herculeanus (x1)

Camponotus nearcticus (x1)

Prenolepis imparis (x3)

Myrmica (Unknown) (x1)

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20930Post Jadeninja9
Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 am

XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm
Martialis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm
Cool. How deep is this trap? The length of the trench? I'm intrigued by this. What's it made of?
trench is about 10 - 13 feet long and is about 5 inches deep. Its just made of top soil which is sandy for me
The queens can't grip the sand?
Keeper of Camponotus hyatti

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20942Post XxStrongHeroxX
Wed May 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 am
XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm
Martialis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm
Cool. How deep is this trap? The length of the trench? I'm intrigued by this. What's it made of?
trench is about 10 - 13 feet long and is about 5 inches deep. Its just made of top soil which is sandy for me
The queens can't grip the sand?
seemed to be so
American

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20948Post XxStrongHeroxX
Wed May 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Make that 2 Invictas queens and a brachymyrmex queen in 2 days
American

User avatar
Aquaexploder
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 20969Post Aquaexploder
Wed May 10, 2017 6:45 pm

XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 3:57 pm
Make that 2 Invictas queens and a brachymyrmex queen in 2 days
Wow I will definitely try this
Founding:

Camponotus herculeanus (x1)

Camponotus nearcticus (x1)

Prenolepis imparis (x3)

Myrmica (Unknown) (x1)

User avatar
jsantswag
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 am

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 22694Post jsantswag
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am

so gonna try this
i'm awesome and sell ant queens. :twisted:

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: New trick that helped me catch queens fast

Post: # 22766Post Jadeninja9
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:15 pm

What about you get a bunch of shoeboxes, remove the lid, and coat the insides with Vaseline, and place them all over the place lol.
Keeper of Camponotus hyatti

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest