Question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aquaexploder

Question

Sun May 07, 2017 11:18 am

I have 2 prenolepis imparis queens that have laid eggs in a test tube setup together and their water supply is close to running out. Should I use a syringe to fill it up again?
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Re: Question

Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 am

if vinyl tubing can fit snugly inside the test tube, you can connect two of them together and cut a hole which you can plug with cotton. Alternatively, you can place the two test tubes facing each other inside a foraging arena. The queens should gravitate towards their preferred humidity level. Just try not to force anything.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Dont use a syringe. It can cause flooding
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Aquaexploder

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 am
if vinyl tubing can fit snugly inside the test tube, you can connect two of them together and cut a hole which you can plug with cotton. Alternatively, you can place the two test tubes facing each other inside a foraging arena. The queens should gravitate towards their preferred humidity level. Just try not to force anything.
I tried this first method but still no luck. I even tried putting a bright light above them to see if they would move (2 attempts for about 4 hours each) and still no luck. Any other suggestions? If not I fear that I may need to move them by force so they don't die of dehydration.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

AntsOfKentucky

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Patience is the key. They will move when they are ready. Connect the tubes together and make the new tube nice and dark. It may take a few days or it may take longer. Since they still have water in their old tube their is no reason for them to want to move. When they feel like their current tube won't support them or their eggs anymore they will move to the other tube. If you try and force them they may get stressed out and eat their eggs or even worse. Just be patient.