Queen Not Tending To Eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Queen Not Tending To Eggs

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm

So, in the past, I have heard that if a queen is not tending to her eggs(like they are scattered) she is not fertile. Is this true? One of my queens has two eggs but on two different sides of the test tube.

Also, does Brachymyrmex form multi queen colonies?

idahoantgirl

Re: Queen Not Tending To Eggs

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm
So, in the past, I have heard that if a queen is not tending to her eggs(like they are scattered) she is not fertile. Is this true? One of my queens has two eggs but on two different sides of the test tube.

Also, does Brachymyrmex form multi queen colonies?
It could be, but if you only have two eggs than I wouldn't worry about it yet. Also yes, I believe that Brachymyrmex does form multi queen colonies.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsAreAwesome

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Ok. It's not looking good because she now has 3 eggs and they are at different places. I was really looking forward to this queen :cry:

AntsAreAwesome

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 am

I checked on her this morning and she seeems to be uncomfortable. She has laid four eggs. They are near each other but not in a pile and she has pulled some cotton overnight. Should I moved her or what?

ultraex2

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am

You can try moving her but I feel like that will stress her out more - if anything, just leave it alone in a dark, quiet place for a week and don't check on it until then. If it turns out to be infertile there, unfortunately, isn't much that you can do about it.

AntsAreAwesome

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am

ultraex2 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am
You can try moving her but I feel like that will stress her out more - if anything, just leave it alone in a dark, quiet place for a week and don't check on it until then. If it turns out to be infertile there, unfortunately, isn't much that you can do about it.
Yea. I will leave her alone. Just gotta figure out where though because garage makes lots of noise when it opens and inside has A/C. So maybe she will have to deal with the garage door opening, but hopefully she turns out to be fertile! :?