Ants Being Indoors

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Ants Being Indoors

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello! So I had something to ask: can I keep RIFA inside with the temp. Being 78 during the day and 70 during the night? If it is to cold, is there a way to get around that besides using a heating source? If there is no way around that then what should I do because I have to keep them inside. Also I can't block off the A/C because this is my room that I live in and I can't turn down the A/C because there are other people in the house. Please help.

Batspiderfish

Re: Ants Being Indoors

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Above 70 is absolutely fine.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Ok, but they are tropical and in a tropical area, thought I would mention that... also would it slow down their progress?

Batspiderfish

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 am

Ants love to be warm, but 70 is warm enough. Keep in mind that even Solenopsis invicta survives North American winters.

It might keep their growth down to a manageable rate, which I hear is a blessing for this species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 am

Ok, good to hear! Now I just want to ask about other tropical species, such as a pheidole flordana or the Florida trap-jaw ant? That is all after I'm pretty sure :lol:

AntsAreAwesome

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 am

Wait there is more! :roll: Do you think that maybe putting them under blankets at night would make them warmer when it is 70?

Martialis

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Nope. Ants do not make their own body heat.
Keeper of

Selliing: