Question on Prenolepis imparis

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

techno2560

Question on Prenolepis imparis

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:48 pm

So recently Prenolepis imparis has started to fly in my area. Before i started to find them i did some research on the species, but one thing i can't seem to get an exact answer for is if they are polygyne or not? So is this species monogyne or polygyne, and if polygyne how many queens would you recommend in a single colony and how would i go about introducing each queen to each other when they all have no workers (all were recently caught). Also would i need a certain size founding chamber if there's multiply queens?

Martialis

Re: Question on Prenolepis imparis

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 pm

They are more polygyne the further toward the equator they are.

Be as ambitions as you like. Fair warning, they may not be polygyne in your area.
Keeper of

Selliing:

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I see so many catching this beautiful species. I'm sure they are but is this species in my area by chance? (West TN) I think I stumbled upon a colony of these a few days ago but not entirely sure.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

techno2560

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Martialis wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 pm
They are more polygyne the further toward the equator they are.

Be as ambitions as you like. Fair warning, they may not be polygyne in your area.
I have 3 total right now so i'll try to put 2 together and see how they interact at first, if nothing goes wrong then i'll leave them together for a little while longer and see how things are long term. I'll just make sure to give them enough room in case they rather stay away from each other.

techno2560

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:29 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
I see so many catching this beautiful species. I'm sure they are but is this species in my area by chance? (West TN) I think I stumbled upon a colony of these a few days ago but not entirely sure.
The map on http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Prenolepis_imparis shows that they were found in TN, though my state isn't listed but they are still here. I am pretty sure it is safe to say that they are located in 48 states, excluding Hawaii and Alaska.

Martialis

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 pm

techno2560 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:29 pm
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
The map on http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Prenolepis_imparis shows that they were found in TN, though my state isn't listed but they are still here. I am pretty sure it is safe to say that they are located in 48 states, excluding Hawaii and Alaska.
They are found in many, although not all, of the continuous 48. They are not present in Idaho, Wyoming, and both the Dakotas.
Keeper of

Selliing:

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Thx guys, I know I could have looked it up but I've been busy last few hours. I figured they were. I think maybe it to late for their flight here tho. Maybe not though
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2