How to go about this .....

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Baltimore410Keeper

How to go about this .....

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 pm

So got this queen i found IDed and the queen seems to be a Lasious social parasite ..... I dont have any other colonies to test or watch this oddity do its job ..... so should i release it? ... or keep it to see if it does in fact do its own thing? .....

Martialis

Re: How to go about this .....

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:17 pm

If you have Lasius colonies around your house, you can potentially take them and use them for her.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Baltimore410Keeper

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Martialis wrote:
If you have Lasius colonies around your house, you can potentially take them and use them for her.
Yea ..... going hunting soon .... need to figure out what I need for the colony since I don't have everything set up yet .... I was expecting having a few weeks to a few months to finish gathering things lol ..... New to the ant keeping thing ..... so ... this is going to be an interesting start lol

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm

This particular kind of Lasius parasite is very difficult to get started with (in fact, nobody has raised a successful colony from a queen before.) They seem to do better if you offer them *very* tiny specks of honey/syrup inside the tube, throughout their founding stages.

These Lasius are from the subgenus Acanthomyops, the males of which seem to have taken to hybridizing with similar species in order to repress their reproductive viability. Many of these queens will be duds.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jadeninja9

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Martialis wrote:
It only works with other Lasius colonies?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Baltimore410Keeper

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm
This particular kind of Lasius parasite is very difficult to get started with (in fact, nobody has raised a successful colony from a queen before.) They seem to do better if you offer them *very* tiny specks of honey/syrup inside the tube, throughout their founding stages.

These Lasius are from the subgenus Acanthomyops, the males of which seem to have taken to hybridizing with similar species in order to repress their reproductive viability. Many of these queens will be duds.
Welp ... only the 2nd queen I've every found lol ...... I have her in a small container currently ...... found what I believe to be lasius workers (about 7-10) and I'm kinda having them wonder around the container until I can get my actual set up finished today to give them every possible chance to work ..... I have some ant nectar I'll add to the container to help them out ... thanks for the advice!

Martialis

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:03 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 pm
Martialis wrote:
It only works with other Lasius colonies?
Indeed.
Keeper of

Selliing: