Mold in the test tube.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JackPayne

Mold in the test tube.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:11 am

Hi guys, this may sound like a stupid question but I was wondering, everyone says look for mold in the test tube, but I've found myself wondering what I'm looking for? I understand that it would be on the cotton, but I don't know what colours or how obvious it is meant to be. for example white or grey mold would be very difficult to see in cotton, so any tips??
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

XxStrongHeroxX

Re: Mold in the test tube.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 am

mold can grow in like a silk form like this https://www.google.com/search?q=mold&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdy7md7I_TAhUMIsAKHSutDdAQ_AUICCgB&biw=1242&bih=602#imgrc=6JrUYr2bx4NH4M: Or it can grow in spots

Batspiderfish

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:47 am

Yellow mold is usually the one that ends up being a problem, but that usually only happens if the ants were overfed protein or fed protein inside the sealed tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JackPayne

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Ok, I haven't fed my queen, yet but I'm feeding her a drop of honey on Monday before I leave on holidays.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?