Waking up/warming up my ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntMomo

Waking up/warming up my ants?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:11 pm

This year will be my first year waking up ants from hibernation, and I wanna make sure I'm doing it right, so I have a few questions! I don't see this process talked about in too much detail and I'm always very over-worried about doing things right.

It's almost time to take my ants out of hibernation I believe. I haven't seen any ants outside quite yet, but its starting to be steadily above freezing outside at least. However, I don't know if it will be warm enough for my ants inside the room they're kept in by the time I start seeing them outside?

In the summer I was able to keep ants easily in a non-air-conditioned room, but the problem is, the room still is pretty chilly from the winter and won't start to really warm up for a while. Probably about 65 degrees F right now in there. But is that ok? Should I take out the ants in a room temperature room and let them warm up slowly first for a while, before putting them in more heat?

I have a heating pad stuck on some glass that I keep inside the drawer with them when I need it, but it doesn't honestly do much to raise the temperature in there very much. Should I just set them with one end of the tubes next to the heater and hope for the best? Or should I wait a little bit before bringing the heater into the mix? All of my ants from the winter are in test tubes with zero to 3 workers right now, so I don't have to worry about formicarium setups just yet.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful! Sorry for all the questions!

idahoantgirl

Re: Waking up/warming up my ants?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:19 pm

AntMomo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:11 pm
This year will be my first year waking up ants from hibernation, and I wanna make sure I'm doing it right, so I have a few questions! I don't see this process talked about in too much detail and I'm always very over-worried about doing things right.

It's almost time to take my ants out of hibernation I believe. I haven't seen any ants outside quite yet, but its starting to be steadily above freezing outside at least. However, I don't know if it will be warm enough for my ants inside the room they're kept in by the time I start seeing them outside?

In the summer I was able to keep ants easily in a non-air-conditioned room, but the problem is, the room still is pretty chilly from the winter and won't start to really warm up for a while. Probably about 65 degrees F right now in there. But is that ok? Should I take out the ants in a room temperature room and let them warm up slowly first for a while, before putting them in more heat?

I have a heating pad stuck on some glass that I keep inside the drawer with them when I need it, but it doesn't honestly do much to raise the temperature in there very much. Should I just set them with one end of the tubes next to the heater and hope for the best? Or should I wait a little bit before bringing the heater into the mix? All of my ants from the winter are in test tubes with zero to 3 workers right now, so I don't have to worry about formicarium setups just yet.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful! Sorry for all the questions!
I think it would be fine to just stick them in a room temperature room to let them warm up. If they have hibernated for several months, then it is fine to take them out since it's spring even if it is cold outside. I'm dont think that it matters if you use the heat right away or not.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile