I need answers about my Camponotus subbarbatus...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

I need answers about my Camponotus subbarbatus...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Okay so the other day I found a Camponotus subbarbatus Queen three workers and a couple eggs and what appeared to be her hibernation chamber. I checked earlier and it seems the eggs are gone now. Does anyone know what could have happened? And do you think she will leave more? I have seen the workers feeding her already so I know they are okay as far as health goes but I just I'm curious about her egg-laying. Could it have been stressed? And will she continue to lay more once she adjusts? Also how long do the workers live in her species? Thanks for any info guys.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

idahoantgirl

Re: I need answers about my Camponotus subbarbatus...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm
Okay so the other day I found a Camponotus subbarbatus Queen three workers and a couple eggs and what appeared to be her hibernation chamber. I checked earlier and it seems the eggs are gone now. Does anyone know what could have happened? And do you think she will leave more? I have seen the workers feeding her already so I know they are okay as far as health goes but I just I'm curious about her egg-laying. Could it have been stressed? And will she continue to lay more once she adjusts? Also how long do the workers live in her species? Thanks for any info guys.
So is this a colony that you are just watching but they live outside? Or are you housing them in something? Queens often do eat eggs when stressed. Camponotus ants seem pretty easy to stress out. If they were eaten from stress, she will continue to lay eggs after she feels that danger is gone.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

xTNxANTMANx

Re: I need answers about my Camponotus subbarbatus...

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

I was in the process of looking for termites for my Aphaenogaster colony when I found them...I have them housed in a test tube of course :) and its good to know she will still produce eggs. I sure hope she does cuz they are a beautiful species.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2