how do i get ants out from outside

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

XxStrongHeroxX

how do i get ants out from outside

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 pm

i want to get some fire ants from outside instead of starting from scratch. there are some outside in my backyard but i dont know how to get them out. i don't want to just ding them out just in case they get hurt or killed. because i already did try digging up another colony but they just died maybe because i did not get the queen up and out

Fulkol

Re: how do i get ants out from outside

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:52 pm

prepare a big bucket preferably with escape proof layer on top (if its a small colony, if it's huge you don't care if a few worker escape

and always dig way around the area you think the nest is located, like if it's a 30 cm radius circle dig at least half meter radius and dump the soil in the bucket

then with gloves with baby powder equipped dig thru the soil with a small tool and/or by hand and separate the eggs, the queens and as much workers as you want from the rest of the soil and workers

so you should end up with a relative small amount of dirt which has all the ants you need, just connect it to an existing setup and they should move in

you might be hurting a few which is unpleasant but you should be able to distinguish the queen and handle it with extra care and that's what matters the most

XxStrongHeroxX

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Fulkol wrote:
prepare a big bucket preferably with escape proof layer on top (if its a small colony, if it's huge you don't care if a few worker escape

and always dig way around the area you think the nest is located, like if it's a 30 cm radius circle dig at least half meter radius and dump the soil in the bucket

then with gloves with baby powder equipped dig thru the soil with a small tool and/or by hand and separate the eggs, the queens and as much workers as you want from the rest of the soil and workers

so you should end up with a relative small amount of dirt which has all the ants you need, just connect it to an existing setup and they should move in

you might be hurting a few which is unpleasant but you should be able to distinguish the queen and handle it with extra care and that's what matters the most

what do i use to keep the ants inside the bucket?

XxStrongHeroxX

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:54 pm

XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm
Fulkol wrote:

what do i use to keep the ants inside the bucket?
what should the layer be made out of

AntsSA

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 pm

A baby powder rubbing alcohol mix should work for fire ants.
Keeping.
lepisiota capensis colony
Cardiocondyla sp.
Founding
Messor. Sp. X 4
Myrmicine Sp. X 2
atopomyrmex Sp. X 2
Ants SA
:lol: :lol:
YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC404jNiUH33dFnxqSZajoPg

Cale3459

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:11 pm

I've had success in the past taking a large flat rock and laying it over the top of the colony. Wait until a nice warm day when the sun is nice and bright to warm up the rock. A lot of times they will bring the brood up to warm under the rock and the queen is often there too.

XxStrongHeroxX

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:14 pm

AntsSA wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 pm
A baby powder rubbing alcohol mix should work for fire ants.
thanks

idahoantgirl

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Just be warned it can be extremely difficult to dig up a colony. Your best bet is to catch one at a nuptual flight.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Serafine

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm

If you want red imported fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) you can put the earth you've digged up into a bucket full of water (break it apart, don't dump it as a block!). The fire ants will swim on the surface and make a raft so you can scoop them up all in one go. If you wait for a few minutes you can also immediately see if there's a queen present (she will sit in the middle of the raft, together with the brood). Don't try that with other ants though.

XxStrongHeroxX

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Serafine wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm
If you want red imported fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) you can put the earth you've digged up into a bucket full of water (break it apart, don't dump it as a block!). The fire ants will swim on the surface and make a raft so you can scoop them up all in one go. If you wait for a few minutes you can also immediately see if there's a queen present (she will sit in the middle of the raft, together with the brood). Don't try that with other ants though.
What about the eggs?