I need help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ZstP77

I need help

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:19 pm

I have an eastern Camponatus ant that I caught sometime in august in Boone NC. Her test tube is running out of water so I connected a new test tube with water to her original test tube with a t joint pbc pipe and stuffed the holes with cotton for air. I’ve been trying to keep her in a cold room for hibernation but I’m starting to panic because there are things that talk about moving an ant from test tubes and I’m not even sure I’m keeping he cold enough as is and she has a little batch of eggs I’m need help from someone experienced she’s been in the setup for about a week now and still is in the same test tube

Angelants2012

Re: I need help

Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:13 pm

Can you send me a picture of the setup? What is the temperature you are hibernating her at? Is there any pupae that might enclose in her brood pile? If yes, then wait until her first workers and then try to move her to the test tube. If she cannot wait for her first workers to hatch before she runs out of water, then try pushing her and her brood to the other test tube with the help of Q tips.