How to take care of semi claustral queen?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tritonspaceants

How to take care of semi claustral queen?

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 am

Hello, everyone. It's been a long time. After Flyaway, a weaver ant and my last queen died ( :( :cry: :cry: ), I wasn't able to catch any queen for a year, and I thought I didn't want to.But now I have caught one, a Tetraponera Nigra Queen, yet to be named. I have two queries, about her housing and about her food. Firstly, what would be a good medium for her to live, and secondly, what to feed her? I don't want her to die like Flyaway. Thanks in advance!
Ants: Tetraponera Nigra queen(Queen Sesame). Ant keeping beginner!

Tritonspaceants

Re: How to take care of semi claustral queen?

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:29 am

I know they live in wood, but I can't find any large pieces of wood nearby to date, and I can't get driftwood online. I heard somewhere that you can use cork, though. Also, should I directly put her in a terrarium, or keep her in a test tube? Currently keeping her in a small glass jar.

SYUTEO

Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:15 am

Try following my semi-claustral queen ant care guide if you can. https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21693
If you have questions feel free to ask.

Tritonspaceants

Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:11 am

UPDATE: She seems to have some problem with her legs. She used to shimmy up the glass in seconds two days ago, but today she seems to be having difficulty in climbing. Also, I moved her to an outworld. I put random pieces of wood inside, but she hasn't tried anything yet. What exactly should her housing be?

SYUTEO

Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:54 am

Tritonspaceants wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:11 am
UPDATE: She seems to have some problem with her legs. She used to shimmy up the glass in seconds two days ago, but today she seems to be having difficulty in climbing. Also, I moved her to an outworld. I put random pieces of wood inside, but she hasn't tried anything yet. What exactly should her housing be?
You can try using a bamboo tube ant nest, you can find some online or you can try making them yourself. As for food, try sugar water or honey for carbohydrates and pre killed insects for protein.