Need advice for Carpenter ant care

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Skanque

Need advice for Carpenter ant care

Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:50 am

Hello antkeepers

I need help regarding how to properly care for my Carpenter ants.

I have been unstable in the care provided, and I suspect the coloney is stagnated because of this, but recently I have really been trying hard to make them prosper, but I have some questions regarding this.

What to feed them and how often?

I have been feeding them all kinds of foods, but they respond best to mealworms and honey. But what ells can I try? And how often do they need fresh protein?

How do it keep them best? in a dark area or a light area, most of their life they have been kept in the dark, but now I am in doubt if this is correct?

And how about humidity? How often should I add water to the sponge?

The colony have been stuck on 14 workers for a long time and the larva have been stuck for a long time also, but I am introducing a lot of protein now, almost daily and hope this will help.

I am unsure of the queens id, but here is the description:

Located: Saint-Raphaël, France.
Time: 21 August 2018.
Description: golden body, golden legs, dark head and dark abdomen.
Length: about 15 mm for queen, 10 mm for major? and 8 for workers

I suspect they are carpenter ants, but I am unsure.

The one major know her duty and is always keeping guard to the entrances near the queens chamber

Some photos:

Skanque

Re: Need advice for Carpenter ant care

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:33 am

Looking at different species of carptenter ants i think mine are Camponotus Herculeanus

SYUTEO

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:36 am

These seem to be Camponotus pilicornis. You should be feeding them a variety of foods, not just one kind of food all time. Try as many as you can and see what they accept. You can try sugar water and various fruits, for protein, try crickets and feeder roaches if you can find some. From what I heard, younger colonies tend to reject meat. Keep them in the dark, keeping them in light might stress them out. Also, watch this video, it will really help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCoajYwo8s

Skanque

Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:06 am

Hi Syuteo, thank you for the reply.

I have also offered the suggested foods to them now, and done so in the past also, I hope that the added attention will help their growth now.

I am split between Pilicornis and Herculeanus, but the colors and discription mostely matches herculenaus. But also according to the suggeste video, which was very informative!, the care should be similare.

I will continue to keep them in a dark area.