Ant Transportation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antmanboy

Ant Transportation

Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:35 pm

I live in Texas and at a family members house last year was a massive Atta Texana nuptial flight. They live in a rural area while I live in a suburb. They are about 40 minutes away from me

I wanted to ask, would the queens and their fungus survive the trip? Also, if they escaped, would this disrupt the local ecosystem? I do not see them around my neighborhood.

Antloverhuman

Re: Ant Transportation

Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 am

I have heard leafcutter ants need very specific conditions to live so if they escaped, they would probably die. I don't think the fungus should be affected but the queen might get stressed out and she could do something to the fungus like destroy it or eat it. So i think just keep the queens stress free during the journey.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Antmanboy

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:27 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 am
I have heard leafcutter ants need very specific conditions to live so if they escaped, they would probably die. I don't think the fungus should be affected but the queen might get stressed out and she could do something to the fungus like destroy it or eat it. So i think just keep the queens stress free during the journey.
Thank you! Would keeping them in a dark box with no music help? Also, since they are a species native to Texas, there aren't any ecological problems? It wouldn't be as if I was keeping a Australian species?

Antloverhuman

Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:35 am

Yes, you can wrap the box with towel to dampen the vibrations also. Music wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the volume is low and there are no low frequency base music which vibrates the whole car.
Even if they escape, they would still be in Texas so there won't be any problem because as you said they are native
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Antmanboy

Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:19 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:35 am
Yes, you can wrap the box with towel to dampen the vibrations also. Music wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the volume is low and there are no low frequency base music which vibrates the whole car.
Even if they escape, they would still be in Texas so there won't be any problem because as you said they are native
Ah, thank you. I think I'll be prepared when the nuptial flight comes around :lol: