How to release queens?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sponge

How to release queens?

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 am

Hello everyone!
So I'm new to these forums and the idea of ant keeping in general. Found AntsCanada and got engrossed in the idea of having my own colony. I've learnt a lot reading other peoples posts but I have one question.

How do you get rid of unwanted queen ants?

I've never really seen this mentioned. For example, I don't want to start a first ant colony with RIFA, so if I caught a queen what would I do? Can you really just release them? I'm not sure if you could, because you might have kept them too long for the wild.

Also, if you can just release them, what if a queen lays eggs before you can release them? Is it the same thing, or do procedures change?

Anyways, sorry if these are dumb questions. These are just the only things I haven't read about here on the forums. I can't find much on the internet either (It doesn't help most ant webpages are about extermination).

MilesC

Re: How to release queens?

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am

You could leave the test tube outside and have the queen find a new claustral chamber. Or you could possibly make one yourself by digging a small hole if you're that concerned.

AntLove4Evr

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am

Sponge wrote:
Hello everyone!
So I'm new to these forums and the idea of ant keeping in general. Found AntsCanada and got engrossed in the idea of having my own colony. I've learnt a lot reading other peoples posts but I have one question.

I've never really seen this mentioned. For example, I don't want to start a first ant colony with RIFA, so if I caught a queen what would I do? Can you really just release them? I'm not sure if you could, because you might have kept them too long for the wild.

Also, if you can just release them, what if a queen lays eggs before you can release them? Is it the same thing, or do procedures change?

Anyways, sorry if these are dumb questions. These are just the only things I haven't read about here on the forums. I can't find much on the internet either (It doesn't help most ant webpages are about extermination).

You can always try the GAN farmer program, but maybe RIFA may be a little much. And remember, a colony only grows with how much you feed it. No food=minimal growth.

Martialis

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 pm

AntLove4Evr wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am
Sponge wrote:
Hello everyone!

You can always try the GAN farmer program, but maybe RIFA may be a little much. And remember, a colony only grows with how much you feed it. No food=minimal growth.

No food= ant death. Less food seems like a better course of action. ;)

Also, the scientific community discourages releasing ant queens. They'd prefer they are given away or put down. I like Milesc's idea about releasing, though/
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:47 pm

You'd be doing your ecosystem a favor by killing unwanted RIFA queens.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:47 pm
You'd be doing your ecosystem a favor by killing unwanted RIFA queens.

Agreed.
Keeper of

Selliing:

larynx

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:00 pm

MilesC wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am
You could leave the test tube outside and have the queen find a new claustral chamber. Or you could possibly make one yourself by digging a small hole if you're that concerned.
This is the method i use. i just make sure i dont notice any colonies near where i am releasing them.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Sponge

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Hey! Sorry for not responding for a while, got a bit caught up in something.

Thanks for all the advice! I wasn't sure if it was that simple, but thanks for the answers!

Canadiananter

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Don't as it may bring diseases out. I just feed them to my other colonies

Martialis

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Canadiananter wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm
Don't as it may bring diseases out. I just feed them to my other colonies
That's a bit... morbid.
Keeper of