Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Post Reply
IridomyrmexJ
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 am
Location: Australia

Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 16949Post IridomyrmexJ
Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:54 am

So, On Wednesday I was walking to school when I saw a queen ant on the ground. There was one problem, I didn't have a test tube on me. As a solution, I pulled out a plastic bag out of my bag and put the queen in there. (I left a little hole for some air) and because I actually had a 3 day camp the same day, I trusted my sister to bring it home at the end of the day and put it in the test tube. She successfully brought it home and put it in a test tube. When I got home, I saw it and it wasn't moving BUT it was not in a ball. I checked on it an hour later and it was in a ball. Now it is usually in a ball but if I touch it it unravels. What is happening? Has anyone experienced this before? Ill update everyone on whether it survives or not. Everyone pray for the queen!!

Fulkol
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 16950Post Fulkol
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am

Is nuptial flight happening in your region now? Being in a "ball" can mean being curled up for hibernation, this is taken from the AC handbook:

"During this hibernation period do not panic if the ants look as though they have died,
and have assumed a sort of crumpled-up, fetal position. Many ants when undergoing deep cold
hibernation will appear to curl up and die, when in reality they’re all very much so alive and will
return to their normal active state come Spring."

IridomyrmexJ
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 am
Location: Australia

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 16968Post IridomyrmexJ
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Fulkol wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am
Is nuptial flight happening in your region now? Being in a "ball" can mean being curled up for hibernation, this is taken from the AC handbook:

"During this hibernation period do not panic if the ants look as though they have died,
and have assumed a sort of crumpled-up, fetal position. Many ants when undergoing deep cold
hibernation will appear to curl up and die, when in reality they’re all very much so alive and will
return to their normal active state come Spring."
In Australia it is currently at the end of summer...

Martialis
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 16981Post Martialis
Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:11 am

IridomyrmexJ wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:30 pm
Fulkol wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am
Is nuptial flight happening in your region now? Being in a "ball" can mean being curled up for hibernation, this is taken from the AC handbook:

"During this hibernation period do not panic if the ants look as though they have died,
and have assumed a sort of crumpled-up, fetal position. Many ants when undergoing deep cold
hibernation will appear to curl up and die, when in reality they’re all very much so alive and will
return to their normal active state come Spring."
In Australia it is currently at the end of summer...
Leave it alone for a while. She might be stressed.
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Past Queens/colonies:

Ponera pennsylvanica

IridomyrmexJ
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 am
Location: Australia

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 16998Post IridomyrmexJ
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:11 am
IridomyrmexJ wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:30 pm
Fulkol wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 am
Is nuptial flight happening in your region now? Being in a "ball" can mean being curled up for hibernation, this is taken from the AC handbook:

"During this hibernation period do not panic if the ants look as though they have died,
and have assumed a sort of crumpled-up, fetal position. Many ants when undergoing deep cold
hibernation will appear to curl up and die, when in reality they’re all very much so alive and will
return to their normal active state come Spring."
In Australia it is currently at the end of summer...
Leave it alone for a while. She might be stressed.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

IridomyrmexJ
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 am
Location: Australia

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 17510Post IridomyrmexJ
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:57 pm

It is not in a ball but it hasn't moved for days

Martialis
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 17511Post Martialis
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Leave her alone. Do you see any eggs? How's the water in her tube?
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Past Queens/colonies:

Ponera pennsylvanica

User avatar
ScaryBuh
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:04 am
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 17611Post ScaryBuh
Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 am

How did you block the tube?
Cotton lets your ant breath.
If you use the tube cap it can prevent oxygen to go to your queen.

IridomyrmexJ
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 am
Location: Australia

Re: Weird Queen Ant behavior...

Post: # 17728Post IridomyrmexJ
Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Dead. It somehow got injured in the journey from school to home. rip D:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest