Hibernating problem

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants4life

Hibernating problem

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Right now I have 2 queens set up in test tubes, one of them has a batch of eggs, and the other has a few workers. For a while I did not pay much attention to them checking up on them every so often. When winter approached I know I had to hibernate them, I just was not sure where. I kept putting it off and now that it's January, I really feel like I messed up and I should do something. If I should still hypernate them I was wondering where I should put them because my garage is to cold and basement is to warm. They have been sitting in the dark inside, and it almost seems like they are hypernating, because they are not really moving, and sitting on top of there eggs. I know They're still alive though because they move a little bit. Also should I switch test tubes because the water is almost out, or will that disrupted them to much?

Batspiderfish

Re: Hibernating problem

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

What about the refrigerator? As long as it is not freezing, the ants will do fine in there. I keep mine in a little box.

As long as you can see pools of water in the tube, that is most likely enough to last the rest of the winter. Just be sure to check in on them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

larynx

Re: Hibernating problem

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:What about the refrigerator? As long as it is not freezing, the ants will do fine in there. I keep mine in a little box.

As long as you can see pools of water in the tube, that is most likely enough to last the rest of the winter. Just be sure to check in on them.
I keep mine in a box as well (cigar box), in the bottom drawer of my above freezing fridge, and it works just fine for me.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer