How to care for Froggattella kirbii

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jefferyguo

How to care for Froggattella kirbii

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Hey guys, I've just been told that 2 of my queen ants are Froggattella kirbii. I was wondering if I should be aware of anything whilst raising them. A bit of research has told me they commonly reside in rotten wood and was wondering if that affects my founding chamber.

Martialis

Re: How to care for Froggattella kirbii

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:00 am

It might.. Are they an arboreal or semi-arboreal species?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:46 am

Almost every ant can be raised inside of a test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 pm

=Interesting.. I thought that species such as Cephalotes or even semi arboreal ants couldn't be.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Martialis wrote:=Interesting.. I thought that species such as Cephalotes or even semi arboreal ants couldn't be.
Semi-arboreal would include the likes of Crematogaster, Lasius alienus, and Aphaenogaster (arguably Camponotus, as well.) Remember that unless somebody succeeds in raising a healthy colony of a given species, there's no way to prove it is a problem with the test tube and not something else. There are just too many variables.

This same logic applies to the "fertility" issue that is frequently brought up with failing queens. Unless there is actual evidence that something is genetically wrong with the queen, or unless there is evidence that she hasn't mated (she was collected inside her mother colony or raised brood that turned out to all be male,) we shouldn't assume that it can't be some other problem.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jefferyguo

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Martialis wrote:It might.. Are they an arboreal or semi-arboreal species?
Froggattella kirbii are arboreal

Jefferyguo

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Do arboreal species require a special formicarium and special food?

Batspiderfish

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Jefferyguo wrote:Do arboreal species require a special formicarium and special food?
Not to the best of my knowledge.