Parasitic Lasius Care

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nathant

Parasitic Lasius Care

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:47 am

I currently have been holding captive 3x Lasius umbratus and one Lasius claviger queen for a bit. (They are all hibernating) I am very happy with my umbratus queens. Apparently they are very difficult to keep alive but I have been keeping them for 3 months at the most now. I have not even fed them anything (not sure if you should with them :? ) My claviger on the other hand, I've only kept for a couple weeks. I understand that these Social Parasites need a host colony to actually start one, but in the meantime, I am not clear on keeping them solitarily before host introduction. Do they constantly need food like semi-claustral queens do? They like sugary food, right? What is a good temperature when they are not in hibernation? I am very interested in introducing host workers, (I know it is extremely difficult) but in the meantime, I'll need to know their needs in general before all this. Thank you for any help! :D
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Batspiderfish

Re: Parasitic Lasius Care

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:19 am

The callow method works for the introduction phase, seemingly without fail.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/#entry44681

I would recommend occasionally feeding sugar to your solitary social parasites.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Nathant

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:31 am

Batspiderfish wrote:The callow method works for the introduction phase, seemingly without fail.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/#entry44681

I would recommend occasionally feeding sugar to your solitary social parasites.

Cool! Is providing two test tubes (one with water the other with sugar water) a good idea?

Batspiderfish

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 am

No, feed them on a tray inside their tubes or dab a little sugar onto the dry cotton bung keeping them in.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:15 am

You can take a cut-off drinking straw and fill honey into it. If you place it horizontally inside the tube the honey will not flow out.

Nathant

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 am

Batspiderfish wrote:No, feed them on a tray inside their tubes or dab a little sugar onto the dry cotton bung keeping them in.
I will do that! Thank you!