URGENT TOPIC

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

FlameofOsiris

URGENT TOPIC

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 pm

So, my nylandria flavpipes colony is in a test tube, and mold has started to grow by a mealworm they pulled inside, and you might think hypothetical reader, "Flame, just move them out", problem is, I can't, right now in the Northeast US, winter is coming, and the ants are completely hibernated, they aren't moving, and any time I shine a light on them, a couple wake up, and then sleep, I know I have to hibernate my ants, but if the mold is left unattended, it could take over the setup and

A. I can't clean it

B. I can't move them out

I have no idea what to do, and I'm scared for their safety

Batspiderfish

Re: URGENT TOPIC

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 pm

More information, like where is the mealworm carcass? why can't you remove just that?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FlameofOsiris

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 am

Batspiderfish wrote:More information, like where is the mealworm carcass? why can't you remove just that?
I can't just pull the mealworm out, they've pulled it inside to the point where it's right next to the cotton, the former water soaked cotton for them to drink.

Batspiderfish

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am

So you can't reach it with tweezers or a toothpick/skewer?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FlameofOsiris

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:50 am

Batspiderfish wrote:So you can't reach it with tweezers or a toothpick/skewer?

They're housed in an outworld, and I'm afraid I might kill the ants or let some break free, I also have to move them out in order to replace their test tube, which doesn't have any water left.

Batspiderfish

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:26 am

Ok, well if the test tube is dry, then mold isn't really the main issue. You should hibernate them adjoined to a fresh, new test tube.

FlameofOsiris

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Ok, well if the test tube is dry, then mold isn't really the main issue. You should hibernate them adjoined to a fresh, new test tube.
Alright, are you sure they'll move by themselves?

Serafine

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:41 am

They should be able to if the tube is directly attached. Ants usually aren't 100% sleepy during the entire hibernation period they often "wake up" to drink and stuff.

FlameofOsiris

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Serafine wrote:They should be able to if the tube is directly attached. Ants usually aren't 100% sleepy during the entire hibernation period they often "wake up" to drink and stuff.
Yeah, when I shine a light on them they wake up and then go back to sleep.