Fluon Replacements

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Reevak

Fluon Replacements

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:13 am

Well I'm planning on keeping ant colonies next year and I was wondering if there was anything I could use to keep ants in their outworlds without using Fluon. Does anybody use anything else and if so, what? Are there things that you've tried and don't work, or things you've experimented with that do? Also what do you use for your ants right now?

Serafine

Re: Fluon Replacements

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 am

There are alternatives, some of them work with certain ants while others don't.
Fluon is the most reliable and while some species can actually cross it vertically none of them can cross it upside-down.

Here is a list of which ant species can cross a specific barrier:
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/646-list-of-species-that-can-cross-a-specified-barrier-contributed-to-by-members/

Reevak

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Serafine wrote:There are alternatives, some of them work with certain ants while others don't.
Fluon is the most reliable and while some species can actually cross it vertically none of them can cross it upside-down.
Okay, then maybe it is just better to be safe and use fluon. I watched one of AntsCanada's videos on Fluon and he said it was better to mix it with water (3 parts water, 1 part Fluon). Although, this was an old video so i dont know if this is something everyone does, or everyone did, if you know what i mean.

Batspiderfish

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I have never had ants get over a talcum barrier.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:17 pm

you can apply a layer of vasaline, and you could also mix talcum powder with rubbing alcohol and paint it onto the rim of the outworld
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile