Do ants smell?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Reevak

Do ants smell?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 am

I want to start an ant colony next year and the only place in the house that I can put a formicarium is in my room. Do ants have a bad smell that builds up in the formicarium and/or outworld? How often do i have to clean the outworld to reduce smells? Are there other ways to prevent bad smells?

Serafine

Re: Do ants smell?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 pm

No. If you keep their outworld clean (ants are very clean and pile up their garbage so you can collect it) ants do not smell.

Some ants smell if you squish them though, also if you have ants that can spray formic acid (Formica, Camponotus) they may use that if you disturb them or feed them with living insects and it may burn in your nose and throat (but then you should generally not feed living insects unless you're 100% sure they are parasite-free).

JPSMedeiros

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:24 pm

My Atta has a very strong smell, all the other ones don't.

Reevak

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:06 pm

thanks for the feedback friends

Serafine

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:30 am

JPSMedeiros wrote:My Atta has a very strong smell, all the other ones don't.
I think fungus-grower colonies (leafcutters, grasscutters) in general could smell due to the fungus and the ants being covered in antibiotic-producing bacteria.

JPSMedeiros

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Serafine wrote:
JPSMedeiros wrote:My Atta has a very strong smell, all the other ones don't.
I think fungus-grower colonies (leafcutters, grasscutters) in general could smell due to the fungus and the ants being covered in antibiotic-producing bacteria.
Even in the first day, with barely no fungus they smell, I think that the Atta has a strong pheromone to keep predators away or something.