Hibernation Temperature

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KingKyle26

Hibernation Temperature

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:21 pm

So its going down to about 22 degrees F (-5 degrees C) outside tonight, while my garage has some insulation, 22 degrees is pretty cold. My ants are about as far away from the garage door as possible and are in a cardboard box. They'll be fine tonight but at what temperature should i get concerned/ possibly move them?

Serafine

Re: Hibernation Temperature

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:43 am

Temperatures in the ant setup should be between 10-15° Celcius (no idea what that is in °F). They will most likely survive down to 5°C but it is risky and most likely not healthy for them.

15°C is best, below 10°C not so good.
And they should NEVER go below 0°C (freezing temperature) that will surely kill them.

Geffbro

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I've got my tetramorium colony with 30-40 workers in their test tube i placed inside their outworld here in my room with me. I'm in Vancouver which is temperate rainforest biome so its cold outside right now and they are hibernating even though they are here in 20-22 celsius according to the thermometer i have sitting on top of the outworld.

I was going to put them in the fridge but the highest it can go is less than 10C, so im glad they seem to be going all biological clock style and ignoring the warmth and still hibernating!

IN CONCLUSION you might be able to just keep them in your house and they will hibernate anyway, my sample size of 1 says it will work 100% of the time!

Batspiderfish

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Just as long as freezing temperatures are avoided, your ants should be fine. Many of the species which don't burrow themselves deep underground have to deal with temperatures much colder than freezing (Camponotus pennsylvanicus, for example, can survive -22 C when their bodies are prepared for it).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MichiganAnts

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:46 pm

most people say to hibernate between 40-50F yet i have my campos at 36F and they are just fine

Angelants2012

Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 am

Can I hibernate my ants at 69 degrees F ( 20 degrees C )? Because my refrigerator is way too cold for my ants. ( -10 in C ) ( 14 in F)