Can a queen restart a colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RuinedDrone

Can a queen restart a colony

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:34 am

Can a queen ever restart a colony Lasius niger

If a queen loses all her workers is it possible for her to restart the colony or is once al the workers have died she is unable to?

Antloverhuman

Re: Can a queen restart a colony

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:39 am

You can feed her more and hope. I think the queen will be very depressed after losing the colony but i think she will eventually grow back
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
You can feed her more and hope. I think the queen will be very depressed after losing the colony but i think she will eventually grow back
I have the same question with Campo plantaus
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 pm
Antloverhuman wrote:
I have the same question with Campo plantaus
she will be sad but will then lay eggs again like queen 8
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

RuinedDrone

Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 am

I will keep her going then. I know some queens need workers to feed and survive. So will be interested to see if she recover's. Se does have a tiny amount for larva but don't know if these are viable. Mould and moisture during hibernation killed of the rest of the colony.

Now in a clean set up with some sugar water and protein so will see how she does over the next few weeks.

She has burrowed in to some coconut fiber and seems to be active. Fingers crossed some workers mature in time.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:27 am

RuinedDrone wrote:
I will keep her going then. I know some queens need workers to feed and survive. So will be interested to see if she recover's. Se does have a tiny amount for larva but don't know if these are viable. Mould and moisture during hibernation killed of the rest of the colony.

Now in a clean set up with some sugar water and protein so will see how she does over the next few weeks.

She has burrowed in to some coconut fiber and seems to be active. Fingers crossed some workers mature in time.
If anything would kill her it would be stress
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:42 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:27 am
RuinedDrone wrote:

If anything would kill her it would be stress
99% of captive queens die from stress
keeping:

RuinedDrone

Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:48 am

Well she nested up and just seen a worker running about, she has water, sugar and protein so will leave her for 2 or 3 days before i check again. The worker must have been very close to emerging.

She and the worker have also built up some of the fiber so she seems to be settling in OK. finger crossed she gets going, her next was also destroyed last year by the dog so she seems to cope with stress OK :)

Oh she also has a small brood of eggs, some she collected from when i transfered her and some new ones she has layed

In terms of what will kill her, many things like starvation, dehydration, infection will kill a queen, as well as getting stood on :)

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:33 am

RuinedDrone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:48 am
Well she nested up and just seen a worker running about, she has water, sugar and protein so will leave her for 2 or 3 days before i check again. The worker must have been very close to emerging.

She and the worker have also built up some of the fiber so she seems to be settling in OK. finger crossed she gets going, her next was also destroyed last year by the dog so she seems to cope with stress OK :)

Oh she also has a small brood of eggs, some she collected from when i transfered her and some new ones she has layed

In terms of what will kill her, many things like starvation, dehydration, infection will kill a queen, as well as getting stood on :)
stress is a key killer. i recommend not disturbing the queen and only give food
keeping: