Having trouble moving ants in the formicarium

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

FlameofOsiris

Having trouble moving ants in the formicarium

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:34 pm

So, I have a nylandria flavpipes colony, recent adopted from the GAN project and I'm moving them inside by placing a heatless light next to their pit world that came with the omninest large. However, they aren't finding the tube connecting it and it bothers me, any more tips?

P.S I covered the formicarium to make it dark and also watered them

martinnate

Re: Having trouble moving ants in the formicarium

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Give them time is all I have. If u haven't watched the tutorials Mikey post for AntsCanada you should check them out. There are some fun vids of how to move a colony from one place to another. Good luck.

Serafine

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:44 am

Don't move ants to a formicarium (especially not a large one) before they have 20-50 workers. The ants might not be able to control the hydration/moisture as they need and it might kill them. Just place the tube within the outworld of the omninest and wait until they feel ready to move out.
Do NOT force them, they know when they are ready and will move as they need it.

FlameofOsiris

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Serafine wrote:Don't move ants to a formicarium (especially not a large one) before they have 20-50 workers. The ants might not be able to control the hydration/moisture as they need and it might kill them. Just place the tube within the outworld of the omninest and wait until they feel ready to move out.
Do NOT force them, they know when they are ready and will move as they need it.

Thing is, they do have about 20 workers and I've blocked off their space to only 2 rooms so they dont pile garbage inside, I've got them in a test tube inside and I've fed them a tiny mealworm along with a drop of honey, the only reason I want to move them is because I can't give them water efficiently, and can only put a wet cotton ball inside, which I'm not even sure if they can drink from