Crematogaster Queens Without Eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Blargo

Crematogaster Queens Without Eggs

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:21 pm

I caught 6 Crematogaster sp. queens in mid-September in Oklahoma City. They have been kept in test tube set ups since then in a warm, dark area. I transferred them to new test tubes when they started running out of water and getting dirty. They haven't laid any eggs yet. Is this fairly normal? I've read that some will lay a small number of eggs at first and then lay many more in a second go, but it's been several weeks now. Are they attempting to hibernate?

Any advice is appreciated!

AntsMclama

Re: Crematogaster Queens Without Eggs

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:11 pm

From my understanding and small experience, I think this is normal. Expect eggs as soon as winter is over!

AqdasHassaan

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am

This is quite normal as far as my little knowledge is concerned. A queen can go up to many weeks and even months without laying any eggs at all and then out of no where starts laying eggs. So be patient and hope for the best.
Gl and cheers. :)

martinnate

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 am

Just to give u some info, this queen is fast growing but not until after the 1st hibernation. I got mine in Abilene Texas in June 2015 and she gave me about 6 workers and maybe 8-10 eggs before hibernation then when hibernation was over she decided to lay eggs like crazy and not 16months later she has well over 100 workers and still growing. I hope this helps.

Nathant

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:17 am

Blargo wrote:I caught 6 Crematogaster sp. queens in mid-September in Oklahoma City. They have been kept in test tube set ups since then in a warm, dark area. I transferred them to new test tubes when they started running out of water and getting dirty. They haven't laid any eggs yet. Is this fairly normal? I've read that some will lay a small number of eggs at first and then lay many more in a second go, but it's been several weeks now. Are they attempting to hibernate?

Any advice is appreciated!
I don't have lots of expierience, but Queens usually don't lay a lot, if not at all, before their first hibernation, especially if caught close to the cold season. My Lasius queens were caught in late-summer, early-fall and did not lay a single egg since, which is expected until after hibernation. Good luck with your queens! :D I'm super jealous of those Crematogasters, BTW :P
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

martinnate

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:51 am

They are so fun to watch (not to rub it in or anything Nathant lol) I'm so glad they can't really harm us. Mine have gotten out multiple times and each time I was like "please dont sting me" as I clean them up and then I found out they dont really sting lol. They have crawled all over my hands and neaver once was I stung. Im guessing if u have broken skin they can sting u, well spray or paint (what is it) formic acid in the cut or open wond and it will burn.

martinnate

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:48 pm

This is just 18months. I feed them crickets, meal worms, sugar water, home made hermitcrab food and any kind of fruit I may be eating. They really like ripe watermellon.

Nathant

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:40 pm

martinnate wrote:Image
This is just 18months. I feed them crickets, meal worms, sugar water, home made hermitcrab food and any kind of fruit I may be eating. They really like ripe watermellon.

You'd better watch them closely, I might come and steal them! :P

martinnate

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I may let u have them if ur near Abilene Texas.

Nathant

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm

martinnate wrote:I may let u have them if ur near Abilene Texas.
Haha, I was just kidding. :P