Trying to move a small colony into a new tube...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jharrell23867

Trying to move a small colony into a new tube...

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:57 pm

So the light trick is not working... the tube is completely out of water & my Camponotus refuse to leave a fetid tube, she only has 5 workers & a pretty decent sized cluster of brood at least for her. I have her in a outworld with another tube which has actually sat there so long it to has started to become pretty icky...

Going to put a new clean tube in but how do i get her to move... These guys seem pretty stubborn... All the light does is stir them up a bit but they will not move.

Chewyrockafeller

Re: Trying to move a small colony into a new tube...

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:44 pm

If their is no mold in the older dried tube she might prefer it over the newer, more humid tube with hydration. I just actually had a very wet tube that killed a Campo worker (Actually I should have left her to 'dry'. I've learned just because they look dead don't give up. They are pretty resilient creatures.) I placed a new tube without a cover and the queen immediately started moving her brood to this new, more illuminated, but dryer chamber.

if you need to move them adding disturbances of light, extra airflow, heat and maybe some sounds causing vibrations should encourage them to move nests.

Batspiderfish

Re: Trying to move a small colony into a new tube...

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 am

Let them stay wherever they are comfortable. Interference often does harm.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.