The Infamous Ponera Pennsylvanica. I need Help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Anthand1

The Infamous Ponera Pennsylvanica. I need Help.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Okay, so this was my first year in ant keeping, and I have caught three queens so far. Two Lasius, and a Ponera. I am not worried at all about the Lasius, because they are fully claustral. On the other hand, the Ponera will definently be a challenge. I have been doing my research, and it seems that the success rate of raising a colony from a single queen is quite low. I have it in a test tube about 5 inches long with a larger amount of space than you would usually find in a test tube meant for fully claustral species. I did this because I think a semi claustral Queen would need a bit more room to move and hunt. I have heard that Ponera accept fruit flies. Should I feed the queen fruit flies? Is the larger amount of room a good idea? What can I do to raise the humidity? Should I add a small amount of substrate? Ponera keepers and ant geniuses, please help.

Batspiderfish

Re: The Infamous Ponera Pennsylvanica. I need Help.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Give her a test tube substrate like coconut fiber, so that she will feel more comfortable. Queens don't like open spaces, especially tiny Ponera. Fruit flies are probably the best food to give this species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 am

I have failed at least 10 times for this species. My closest attempt got the queen up to 3 medium larvae but I had to go out of town and couldn't feed them for a month.
I basically did the noreal testtube setup except made the cottonext a little loose and the queend dug a small hole. I then pushed the cotton down so much that is was practically touching the other pice of cotton and gave her some wingless flies

Martialis

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:27 am

Canadiananter wrote:I have failed at least 10 times for this species. My closest attempt got the queen up to 3 medium larvae but I had to go out of town and couldn't feed them for a month.
I basically did the noreal testtube setup except made the cottonext a little loose and the queend dug a small hole. I then pushed the cotton down so much that is was practically touching the other pice of cotton and gave her some wingless flies
Mine tends to GUZZLE water. She also eats ton of fruit flies. I'd giver her lots of flies, sugary substances and water.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Anthand1

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. Also, do the queens eat sugary substances when raising nanitics or are they still strictly predacious?

Martialis

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Anthand1 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Also, do the queens eat sugary substances when raising nanitics or are they still strictly predacious?
I gave mine some agave, she mainly stays in the test tube she chose to raise her brood.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Anthand1 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Also, do the queens eat sugary substances when raising nanitics or are they still strictly predacious?
Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. I believe they might eat some sugary substances? Mine drank at least one tube of sugar water. :lol:
Keeper of

Selliing:

Anthand1

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:57 am

Okay well she has hunted down and killed a fruitfly. This is good news.

Martialis

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:00 am

Anthand1 wrote:Okay well she has hunted down and killed a fruitfly. This is good news.
Glad to hear it!
Keeper of

Selliing:

Canadiananter

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:22 pm

I have heard them eat boiled yolks as a substitute for live insects