So, is this even possible?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CaptainRedBeardd

So, is this even possible?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Hey everyone, I would really like to start a colony of these pogonomyrmex rugosus that we have out behind my work.. There are plenty of colonies out there. So, without going too much into detail, I have captured like 3 wild female alates and like 5 or so males. That have not mated. Is there any way to get these wild caught alates to mate? What would be the process? I can't seem to find any ideas of this on Google. I feel like it has to be possible to just put them in a container together and hope for the best..

Thoughts?

AntLove5Ever

Re: So, is this even possible?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:50 pm

CaptainRedBeardd wrote:Hey everyone, I would really like to start a colony of these pogonomyrmex rugosus that we have out behind my work.. There are plenty of colonies out there. So, without going too much into detail, I have captured like 3 wild female alates and like 5 or so males. That have not mated. Is there any way to get these wild caught alates to mate? What would be the process? I can't seem to find any ideas of this on Google. I feel like it has to be possible to just put them in a container together and hope for the best..

Thoughts?

ARe they from the same colony or no, if not maybe, and they might not be 5 colonies, maybe one with 5 entrances.

CaptainRedBeardd

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:
CaptainRedBeardd wrote:Hey everyone, I would really like to start a colony of these pogonomyrmex rugosus that we have out behind my work.. There are plenty of colonies out there. So, without going too much into detail, I have captured like 3 wild female alates and like 5 or so males. That have not mated. Is there any way to get these wild caught alates to mate? What would be the process? I can't seem to find any ideas of this on Google. I feel like it has to be possible to just put them in a container together and hope for the best..

Thoughts?

ARe they from the same colony or no, if not maybe, and they might not be 5 colonies, maybe one with 5 entrances.

I would love to see how big the underground nest is if they are all the same colony.. Each entrance is between 30-100 feet apart at ground level. O.O So, if I caught some from different colonies, would it be possible to mate them in captivity?

Also, if I'm finding some alates, does that mean they could still have a nuptial flight coming up??

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:56 pm

Many, many, many people have asked this question, and the only evidence of it working is sparse and anecdotal.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:59 pm

so, your answer is no, it's not possible
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

CaptainRedBeardd

Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:03 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:so, your answer is no, it's not possible

Everyone is saying maybe.. Even seen some posts of alates mating IN the formicarium..haha. I feel like a definite no is not the correct answer here..

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 am

Artificial insemination of ants is possible. It''s been done in several larger species. Sadly, it doesn't seem to practical. You need extremely precise forceps and a microscope.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:26 am

Artificial insemination of ants is possible. It''s been done in several larger species. Sadly, it doesn't seem to practical. You need extremely precise forceps and a microscope.
Keeper of

Selliing: