A few questions about setup and food/water supply

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ImYume

A few questions about setup and food/water supply

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi everyone :)

My tetramorium colony has finally grown enough to be moved into a formicarium and so I've done that. As of now, I have placed a small piece of grape, a small piece of almond, and a scrap of chicken for them to find and work with for food, but I'm lost for what I should provide for water/sugar water. I only have one test tube and for now I filled it up with sugar water to last them ages. Should I also provide them a bowl filled with wet cotton balls as a normal water source? Or will it be enough for them to access the water that seeps out of the formicarium walls? I have an AC omni nest (flat, not vertical), so the water seems to just line the walls.

Speaking of the moisture from the walls, how often should I water the nest? I remember watching an AC video saying tetramorium like 30-40% moisture level in their formicarium, but I'm not too sure how that correlates with how much/how often I water the nest.

As for a digging medium, would lining the bottom of the outworld with loose potting soil be alright? Or is there a specific material that tetramorium seems to enjoy more?

Finally, is it a must for me to get a heating cable/heating pad for the formicarium? I know the added heat helps them be more active and promotes growth of the brood, but is it absolutely necessary to have?

Thanks!

ps. sorry about the lengthy post :( I'm still new to all this.

AnthonyP163

Re: A few questions about setup and food/water supply

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Put a very thin line of dirt, because trust me, they live digging. I have a colony that I haven't seen for weeks, they're mostly underground.

AnthonyP163

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm

And they're good on food for a while, so make sure you give them sugar which is usually honey. They live honey.

P.S. My Tetramorium love apples and shell-less crushed sunflower seeds.

idahoantgirl

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:14 am

just a warning, if you add digging medium they will use it to try to cover up the glass and you will not be able to see them very well because they blend in. personally, i would never add a digging medium because I think it defeats the purpose of being a able to see the ants in a cool, modern setup.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile