Bad odor from test tube normal?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ImYume

Bad odor from test tube normal?

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello everyone :)

I was checking on my tetramorium colony today, cleaning their mini outworld and all that and I noticed a pretty bad smell coming from the tube setup they're in. Of course smell is subjective, but does anyone else normally get these bad odors from their setups? It's probably just from molding of the cotton right? And I noticed my ants reaaaally like to hoard food pieces, should I just not give them enough for them to hoard like that next time? I'm guessing that's contributing to the smell too because I can't actually reach into the tube and pull out the scraps.

I don't have another test tube available for them to move either, if this is an issue what's my next best course of action?

Thanks !

Batspiderfish

Re: Bad odor from test tube normal?

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:20 pm

I believe the smell is caused by anaerobic microorganisms living in the tube and feeding on whatever organic matter came through in the water or the cotton. This usually isn't harmful unless the water was really impure (i.e. something foolish like honey is added), but it might be a good indication that it is time to give the ants access to an alternative living space.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ImYume

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:I believe the smell is caused by anaerobic microorganisms living in the tube and feeding on whatever organic matter came through in the water or the cotton. This usually isn't harmful unless the water was really impure (i.e. something foolish like honey is added), but it might be a good indication that it is time to give the ants access to an alternative living space.
Thanks for your input :) I didn't add anything to the water, it came fresh out of a bottle of drinking water. I guess it's just about time to move them anyways, they've been in there for a month+, almost two now. I have a formicarium shipping to me now so hopefully it gets here soon then.

Batspiderfish

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Nothing urgent -- it's just better not to wait to see signs of discomfort, in my opinion. It may not even bother the ants. My Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony is in a nasty tube, but they don't want to move to the clean, fresh one I provided.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.