Help! Mold in test tubes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Wildcat

Help! Mold in test tubes

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 am

I have had a few tetramorium queen in test tube setups for a few weeks and they have started to develop mold in them! I don't really know how to move them to another test tube so any help would be awesome :D :D

Batspiderfish

Re: Help! Mold in test tubes

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Have you been feeding them?

If you give the ants access to another tube, they will move there if the mold becomes a problem.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Wildcat

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 pm

I already have them connected to new test tubes, but they havn't moved and its been about a day and a half

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Wildcat wrote:I already have them connected to new test tubes, but they havn't moved and its been about a day and a half
They will move when they are ready to move. They should know if/when any mold poses a danger to them or the brood. I have had some live in moldy test tubes for several weeks and be just fine.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:55 pm

They'll only move if they have to. If you scotch tape the two tubes together and poke some air holes in the tape, they will be absolutely fine. A little bit of mold is inevitable (in my experience), not unlike algae in an aquarium -- just as long as it isn't getting out of control and the ants have space to move away, things should be fine.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRule

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Just make sure the holes are tiny, I know how small tertamorium workers can be :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Wildcat

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am

Thank you for the help everyone :D :D I will keep updating on what is happening!