Nylanderia colony suddenly lethargic

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Blargo

Nylanderia colony suddenly lethargic

Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm

I caught a Nylanderia colony a couple of weeks ago with roughly 300 workers, and I was keeping them in a large tub with a large test tube inside it that they moved into. I got an AntsCanada outworld and transferred the colony into it, and they very quickly set up a next underneath a pile of moss, leaving the test tube behind. It's been a few days, and all seemed well until this morning. I fed them a couple drops of sugar water last night, and this morning (I keep them in my closet) I found the entire colony to be oddly lethargic, standing around and just cleaning themselves. After work, I took a look, and they're all still just hanging out, and they don't seem to respond to any light stimuli as they normally do, like me removing the lid to the outworld.

Any ideas why this may be the case? Stress? Poisoning somehow?

AntsDakota

Re: Nylanderia colony suddenly lethargic

Thu May 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Blargo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm
I caught a Nylanderia colony a couple of weeks ago with roughly 300 workers, and I was keeping them in a large tub with a large test tube inside it that they moved into. I got an AntsCanada outworld and transferred the colony into it, and they very quickly set up a next underneath a pile of moss, leaving the test tube behind. It's been a few days, and all seemed well until this morning. I fed them a couple drops of sugar water last night, and this morning (I keep them in my closet) I found the entire colony to be oddly lethargic, standing around and just cleaning themselves. After work, I took a look, and they're all still just hanging out, and they don't seem to respond to any light stimuli as they normally do, like me removing the lid to the outworld.

Any ideas why this may be the case? Stress? Poisoning somehow?
This is not unusual. I am not sure, but this could mean they are getting used to and enjoying their new environment. As long as they’re still eating, they’re most likely fine.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25