Wild caught queen without pupae

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KvnRepublic

Wild caught queen without pupae

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Hey guys I was up at my cottage when I lifted up a bed of moss and I found a Camponotus noveboracensis queen and I had to just snatch her up. The problem was that I was not able to grab any of the eggs or larva (she had no workers). I this a problem, will she lay eggs in a test tube now, and should I feed her because she has most likely been fasting for a while? Thanks again for the help guys!!! :D

AntsRule

Re: Wild caught queen without pupae

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 pm

She most likely will lay again. I caught two camponotus subbarbatus under a rock and was not able to collect their eggs/larva but now they have eggs pupa and cocoons!(The queens are together because that sp. has multiple queens) I gave mine food because they were already fasting for so long. They probably spent most of they wing muscle energy. Now they are doing great! :D Congrats!
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

KvnRepublic

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks man, I will put a drop of honey and a darkling beetle leg in there in a few days so I can give her a chance to adjust to test tube life.

AntsRule

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:45 pm

You are welcome! Mine did not seem to like the cricket leg I gave them, probably because most queens eat primarily sweets, the brood eats most of the protein. They did love the honey though. I would keep the leg in their though since all sp. and colones are different, the brood might develop faster since they have the extra protein though :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.