Queens not near water source in test tubes?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

Queens not near water source in test tubes?

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Recently, I have been catching queens that only hang out near the middle of the test tube or even the opposite side of where the water source is. Should I worry? I have an Aphaenogaster Queen and a Crematogaster Queen that are in test tube setups right now. My crematogaster Queen just laid her eggs, but she laid the clutch in the middle of the test tube away from the water source. From what I've seen with Queens in the past and other people's queens, queens in test tubes usually only lay eggs next to the water source cotton ball. Here is a picture of my Aphaenogaster Queen on the opposite side of the test tube where she stays there.

Am I overreacting or is this normal?

Solenopsisace

Re: Queens not near water source in test tubes?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:12 am

I guess it is one of those to each her own type ants. She just don't want to sit next to the water. She must be comfortable where she's at to be laying eggs. I would not worry

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Queens not near water source in test tubes?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I guess it is one of those to each her own type ants. She just don't want to sit next to the water. She must be comfortable where she's at to be laying eggs. I would not worry
Ditto. She knows what she is doing.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator