Can captive Camponotus escape captivity to create a colony?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Can captive Camponotus escape captivity to create a colony?

Tue May 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Did you like the alliterative title? It took like 2 minutes to plan out. Anyway, I have a concern. My mom doesn't want me to have carpenter ants, because she is worried that they could escape and move into our walls or floors. Is this a legitimate concern? Do you know if this has ever happened? How likely is it?

Luckily, my mom doesn't know anything about ant taxonomy or identification, so I am already keeping two Camponotus queens right under her nose! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Shhh... Don't tell her!

Solenopsisace

Re: Can captive Camponotus escape captivity to create a colony?

Wed May 25, 2016 12:00 am

The house will stand for another 50 years if one colony moves in.but if you have 50 colony's in a couple years move in,then u might wanna worry.just make sure your house is dry ( moisture inside the walls or anywhere in the interior framing is there favorite ).other than that your good 8-)

MCWren

Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 am

I meant is it possible/likely for pet Camponotus to escape from a formicarium and move into my walls?

AntsRule

Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am

MCWren wrote:I meant is it possible/likely for pet Camponotus to escape from a formicarium and move into my walls?
It is possible but I think very unlikely. What type of nest are you using? I just caught my fist camp. a few days ago so I do not have experience with them, so DO NOT base your decision on my response. Does anyone else that has experience with this species know the probability? If you were keeping fire ants you have would have room to be worried. The smaller the ant the higher the probability is what I have heard. You could also email AntsCanada they are the best source of information. Good Luck! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MCWren

Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 am

I'd probably get a hybrid nest and make my own outworld. Thank you for your help. Hopefully someone more experienced will read this and know the answer. :D

AntsRule

Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 am

MCWren wrote:I'd probably get a hybrid nest and make my own outworld. Thank you for your help. Hopefully someone more experienced will read this and know the answer. :D
Good because camp. workers can possibly chew trough wood, cork and possibly y tong nests but I am not sure. Good luck! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 am

Due to their larger size, Campo have difficulty escaping. You just have to make sure the outworld is secure, like with insect-a-slip around the top and/or a lid, and that connections are secure. There is always the possibility of a pet or child bumping something loose without you knowing, so make all connections as secure as possible, perhaps even adding some silicone as an extra security measure.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 am

As I am reading this some Lasius species are trying to move in. I grabbed some olive oil and surronded their entry way with a thick ring of olive oil and scoped up the scouts put them in the circle and now they have no way to get in! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm

if you make the nest and out world comfortable for the species, keep it clean and large enough for the current colony count, then they will not want to move. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Mdrogun

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 am

I had my Camponotus colony with a couple 100 workers escape and we had ants all over our house. They never tried to move into our walls or floors.