air in a test tube setup

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

bhali333

air in a test tube setup

Thu May 19, 2016 4:56 pm

I just caught 11 selinopsis queens and set them up in test tubes this is my first time. My question is will they have enough air in the test tube to last until they move to a nest or do I need to remove the cotton stoper periodicaly to give them fresh air? and if so how often?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: air in a test tube setup

Thu May 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Air can pass through the cotton stopper, so you should be fine.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

larynx

Thu May 19, 2016 5:02 pm

bhali333 wrote:I just caught 11 selinopsis queens and set them up in test tubes this is my first time. My question is will they have enough air in the test tube to last until they move to a nest or do I need to remove the cotton stoper periodicaly to give them fresh air? and if so how often?
lol. air will pass through the cotton. dont worry about that. taking the cotton out too often can cause undue stress to the queen. when you open the cotton, humidity, temp , and air pressure change in the tube, all things that will put ants and queens alike in alert mode. the best thing to do with solenopsis sp. is to make sure you set the tube up correctly and have it in the right temp area, then forget about hem for a month or two. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

bhali333

Thu May 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 pm

larynx wrote:
bhali333 wrote:I just caught 11 selinopsis queens and set them up in test tubes this is my first time. My question is will they have enough air in the test tube to last until they move to a nest or do I need to remove the cotton stoper periodicaly to give them fresh air? and if so how often?
lol. air will pass through the cotton. dont worry about that. taking the cotton out too often can cause undue stress to the queen. when you open the cotton, humidity, temp , and air pressure change in the tube, all things that will put ants and queens alike in alert mode. the best thing to do with solenopsis sp. is to make sure you set the tube up correctly and have it in the right temp area, then forget about hem for a month or two. :D
Agreed, Just let her be. I'll be honest, she has a 50/50 chance. I say this because out of say 10 queens you'll maybe lose between 2-4, it just happens. If your lucky you'll get 8 or 9 queens go all the way to nantics. Fingers crossed for ya. give it about a month before you check on her.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: