Terrarium overpopulation, but not what you think

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KdenKden

Terrarium overpopulation, but not what you think

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:49 am

I have a terrarium currently holding a small pheidole pilifera colony. The tank is pretty big about 14 inches by 8 inches. I added some succulents and cacti among other things, I also added in some pill bugs and spring tails. Theres also some millipedes and centipedes in the tank with a other small cleaning organism i dont really know what they are tho. Anyways my pheidole are super picky eaters and I thought they would handle the population of the other bugs in there, except they kinda gone into hibernation and the pill bugs had a population boom and is currently eating all plant life flourishing in the tank. There's too many of them. Any idea how i can reduce that without harming my ants. Any advice would be helpful.
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.

antperson24

Re: Terrarium overpopulation, but not what you think

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:13 pm

KdenKden wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:49 am
I have a terrarium currently holding a small pheidole pilifera colony. The tank is pretty big about 14 inches by 8 inches. I added some succulents and cacti among other things, I also added in some pill bugs and spring tails. Theres also some millipedes and centipedes in the tank with a other small cleaning organism i dont really know what they are tho. Anyways my pheidole are super picky eaters and I thought they would handle the population of the other bugs in there, except they kinda gone into hibernation and the pill bugs had a population boom and is currently eating all plant life flourishing in the tank. There's too many of them. Any idea how i can reduce that without harming my ants. Any advice would be helpful.
Maybe try to catch as many as possible? I don't even know if you could catch them.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN