Double Cloning Queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Double Cloning Queen

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I've always loved the idea of Long Horn Ants (a.k.a black crazy ants) and their ability to produce their own queens, however black crazy ants do not live in Oregon where I live. As far as I know, these are the only ants cabable of this amazing ability. Are there any other ants that do this? And what are some really cool Oregon ants? All I've managed to find have been tetramorium, camponautus, and formica.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

Hitch3

Re: Double Cloning Queen

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, because pretty much every ant species can produce their own (unfertilised) queens...
Unless you mean that they are able to produce fertilised queens without a nuptial flight?

SamuelMamuel

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Hitch3 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm
I’m not exactly sure what you mean, because pretty much every ant species can produce their own (unfertilised) queens...
Unless you mean that they are able to produce fertilised queens without a nuptial flight?
Yessir. Sorry, I meant that they are able to make their own, fertilized queens. They can pass the incestual barrier. I just want to know if there are any other ants that can do this, or any other cool ants that people know of that live in Oregon.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

BleedingRaindrops

Tue May 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Paratrechina longicornis should be present everywhere, but as far as I know they are the only species capable of double cloning.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

antnest8

Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 am

according to ant maps the black crazy ant has invaded the whole south of the u.s. and has been indoor introduced to the mid west. but Oregon has not been touched although British Columbia has indoor introduced crazy ants.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Fri May 18, 2018 2:52 pm

SamuelMamuel wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm
I've always loved the idea of Long Horn Ants (a.k.a black crazy ants) and their ability to produce their own queens, however black crazy ants do not live in Oregon where I live. As far as I know, these are the only ants cabable of this amazing ability. Are there any other ants that do this? And what are some really cool Oregon ants? All I've managed to find have been tetramorium, camponautus, and formica.
I've heard that Myrmecosystus (honeypot ants) live in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and British Colombia. Because of winter, they are probably rare, and more common down south.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25