Food coloring help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

Food coloring help

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:04 pm

I have my ants a drop of honey with green food coloring. When the workers touched the honey, they freaked out and jumped backwards. They are totally avoiding it and they were like doing this weird dance where they stood on their hind legs and moved their antennae really fast. The two ants that went to forage are just walking around the outworld right now and for some reason are traversing the edge of the Vaseline border. One ant actually got half of his body over the border. Looks like they are trying to get out for some reason. Any thoughts? Should I remove the honey?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Antsinohio

Re: Food coloring help

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 am

They were either happy to see the honey or they didin't want to eat it. Sometimes they will avoid it and go get more workers to help gather the food but it doesn't look like that's what they are doing. How much food coloring are you using if there's to much food coloring they wont want to eat it as much they might not want honey right now try giving them some insects

Jadeninja9

Re: Food coloring help

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

They decided to stick some molded cotton and their mealworm from last night onto the drop of honey. I used a drop of honey with a diameter of about 1.5 cm and put 1 drop of food coloring. I mixed it in a shot glass and dipped a toothpick in the drop and used what was on the toothpick to feed my ants.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans