Camponotus sp about to eclose 1st nanotic

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

martinnate

Camponotus sp about to eclose 1st nanotic

Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi everyone, I need help with my Camponotus Sp. she is about to have her 1st Nanitic. I see about 4 pupa in her test tube (sorry no pic today) what should I do?? Leave her in the test tube, attach test tube to a portal, attach test tube to Omni Nest or Hybrid Nest?? Help please. Oh I am watching AntsCanad's 3yr old videos wit Mikey B. and his Camponotus maculatus colony. I may watch them all and see if he can help me. Any input would be help. Thanks to all in advance.
Martin;>)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Camponotus sp about to eclose 1st nanotic

Tue May 17, 2016 2:05 pm

martinnate wrote:Hi everyone, I need help with my Camponotus Sp. she is about to have her 1st Nanitic. I see about 4 pupa in her test tube (sorry no pic today) what should I do?? Leave her in the test tube, attach test tube to a portal, attach test tube to Omni Nest or Hybrid Nest?? Help please. Oh I am watching AntsCanad's 3yr old videos wit Mikey B. and his Camponotus maculatus colony. I may watch them all and see if he can help me. Any input would be help. Thanks to all in advance.
Martin;>)
You can just leave them alone for a little while. When you see the workers begin to pull at the cotton to get out, that usually means they want to forage, so you could add a bit of food, a drop of honey on a small piece of tin foil, etc. Give them a few days at least before feeding. You should leave them in the test tube setup until there are lots of workers though. If you try to transfer them to a formicarium too soon, it could be fatal. A test tube portal is a nice option as well. Allows for foraging and easy feeding. You could do the test tube portal anytime.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Do not move them into a nest or they will die. Wait until the test tube is crowded. Like minimum 20 workers. The more the better. Feed them in the test tube until they reach that size. Does anyone else know when to place the test tube in the out world and when too start feeding the colony from there? It will be hard to feed them in the test tube without escapes. Anyone else feel free to correct me or add anything!
Congrats!!! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Tue May 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Whoops sorry ooper01 you posted when I was writing my post :lol: You already covered most of it!

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue May 17, 2016 3:28 pm

AntsRule wrote:Whoops sorry ooper01 you posted when I was writing my post :lol: You already covered most of it!
No problem ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

martinnate

Tue May 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks you guys, yall are awesome. I will wait a couple days after the 1st worker to attach them to the portal and feed them. I have one so why not use it, right lol. I am so excited about them getting big. The queen was pulling on the dry cotton to and had some of the cocoons rapped up in it. I guess to keep them drier. On 5/3 I check on her before I left for 2 weeks and she had like 8 eggs and 3 larva all bunched up next to the wet side of the tube, when I got back yesterday 5/16 she had 3 or 4 cocoons bunched up in the dry cotton and some larva and eggs about half way between the wet and dry. Her water is drying out but she still has about half of it left. I will wait for it to dry up more before trying to get her to move out. by then she will have more workers to help her move into a clean test tube. Oh has anyone notice the test tubes don't fit in the portals?? Thanks again and I will send pics when the 1st worker comes.

AntsRule

Tue May 17, 2016 4:33 pm

martinnate wrote:Thanks you guys, yall are awesome. I will wait a couple days after the 1st worker to attach them to the portal and feed them. I have one so why not use it, right lol. I am so excited about them getting big. The queen was pulling on the dry cotton to and had some of the cocoons rapped up in it. I guess to keep them drier. On 5/3 I check on her before I left for 2 weeks and she had like 8 eggs and 3 larva all bunched up next to the wet side of the tube, when I got back yesterday 5/16 she had 3 or 4 cocoons bunched up in the dry cotton and some larva and eggs about half way between the wet and dry. Her water is drying out but she still has about half of it left. I will wait for it to dry up more before trying to get her to move out. by then she will have more workers to help her move into a clean test tube. Oh has anyone notice the test tubes don't fit in the portals?? Thanks again and I will send pics when the 1st worker comes.
Make sure you cut up there insect food really well if you put it in the test tube. It's nerves can make it crawl even if it is headless. This will cause the ants to freak out and if they are a species that spray formic acid it could kill them since, the acid will stay trapped in the test tube with the colony.
Good luck!!! ;)

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

martinnate

Tue May 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Thank you, good to know. This Queen means a lot to me, I found her on my mom and dads property. I believe they sent her to me. So I want to make sure she lives and grows her colony huge while in my position. Thanks to you all.

AntsRule

Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 am

You are welcome!!! Good luck!!! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

martinnate

Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 am

Hey everyone thanks for all the info you have given, here are some pics. the 1st two are older but the last 4 were taken on 5/17/16 enjoy :)
I can't wait for the 1st workers to come. Thanks for all the help and I think I'm going to go with an Omni nest Sm for right now.