Frequently Asked Questions About Ants
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hello All - I should start by saying I am new to Ant love!! !LOL!!! Anyhow-- I have noticed in some of my video watching research that after some time in a test tube set up that mold will begin to grow. For some reason this this really bothers me, and I was wondering if this has any adverse effects on the queens and newly hatched nanitics. Is this something that should be changed immediately by changing the water and cotton? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but molds and mildew can be very harmful and unhealthy. However it doesn't seem to any matter of urgency on the videos I've watched. Anyway, like I said I'm very new to this and any wisdom shared is appreciated! ! Thanks a bunch!
I have had ants choose to live in a moldy test tube, even when a fresh one was offered. I gathered from this that it was not harmful to them or they would have chosen to move (they didn't die either). If it concerns you though, you can offer them a new test tube setup so they can move if they want/need to. The most common way is to tape them together by the openings, but it makes air a concern and it's a pain to feed them when test tubes are taped together. A handy alternative is the AntsCanada Test Tube Portal.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest