Please help me identify these little workers?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Hunter36o

Please help me identify these little workers?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:50 am

Hey just a short vid of the ants near me allocated smoking area at work. As mush as I watch these girls go I am not sure if they are pavement ants or garden ants because where i work suits both!
Please help?

https://youtu.be/mJJS71ZmF_I
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Batspiderfish

Re: Please help me identify these little workers?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Videos are next to useless for ID's, but very much looks to be Lasius.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hunter36o

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Perfect! Thank you. I hope to catch some queen during smoke breaks and lunch hours while in work. So i do not miss out on the good times during the week haha. My only fear is im a 15 minute drive from my job and i ride a motorbike... Will a queen survive that kind of travel for even 20-25 minutes if i took is easier just for the extra passengers? I am also 50-50 on weather or not to put them in the test tube set up before or after the trip as i am unsure if there is a flood risk, would the cotton hold out?
Sorry for the questions but this will be my first colony and i would head for it to end before it begins.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 pm

They can be without water for a little while before being put into their test tubes. It's generally best not to include water on same-day collection trips.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hunter36o

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 am

Okay so it would be safer if I catch a queen at work to do the setup at home?
I really just do not want to stress them out anymore then necessary but I do see a lot more busy highways for ants around here then I do at home strangely enough.

AntsForeverYT

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 am

Im my opinion, You shouldn't leave the ants for too long in the containers if there is any chance of high heat without water, so try your best to catch them nearer the end of the day :)
My Ants!

1) Camponotus Turkestanicus
2) Lasius Niger
3) Lasius Flavus

Subscribe to me on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKTqZuI3FkZmkFiX09DE8w