Questions About Colony Sizes

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

jameswood1

Questions About Colony Sizes

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 am

Hello guys,

I was wondering if people could give me information of ant species from Europe and Asia (preferably mainland) that live in relatively small colonies (500-1000) workers?

Any help welcome, thanks.

DictaruraSrl

Re: Questions About Colony Sizes

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

In Europe i know the Formica Fusca species that gas colonies of around 500-600 workers from what i know.

Hunter36o

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 am

As far as I am aware. Colonies that have gamergates and not actual queen generally do not have big colonies so there is less competition from newly hatched workers and less ground to cover when trying to remove gemi from the new workers. Sorry for my spelling. But I am not sure how many ants do this. I just know there are some in the Asian region. Not so sure about Europe.

May I ask why you are asking about Asia and Europe? Hope you do not plan to import any from one to the other??
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

TheRealAntMan

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Temnothorax is another one with colonies never really exceeding past 700 ants.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

AntsDakota

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
As far as I am aware. Colonies that have gamergates and not actual queen generally do not have big colonies so there is less competition from newly hatched workers and less ground to cover when trying to remove gemi from the new workers. Sorry for my spelling. But I am not sure how many ants do this. I just know there are some in the Asian region. Not so sure about Europe.

May I ask why you are asking about Asia and Europe? Hope you do not plan to import any from one to the other??
In Great Britain it is legal to buy non-native ant species through the mail.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Hunter36o wrote:

Yeah but that still does not make it a good idea to bring in non native species. Legal or not the risks are still there.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 am
AntsDakota wrote:
Hunter36o wrote:

Yeah but that still does not make it a good idea to bring in non native species. Legal or not the risks are still there.
I was just stating a fact. I agree with keeping native species.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25