What ants can i keep in Norway?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MrPixelated

What ants can i keep in Norway?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 am

Hello, I have been thinking of starting to keep ants, however I have a problem with choosing which species to prioritize catching (I live in eastern Norway).
I have been thinking a lot about Lasius Niger seeing as they are the most widespread but I also have been thinking about Formica Fusca or Camponotus sp. Any recommendations/notes? And are Formica Fusca even possible to keep?

Martialis

Re: What ants can i keep in Norway?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 am

MrPixelated wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 am
Hello, I have been thinking of starting to keep ants, however I have a problem with choosing which species to prioritize catching (I live in eastern Norway).
I have been thinking a lot about Lasius Niger seeing as they are the most widespread but I also have been thinking about Formica Fusca or Camponotus sp. Any recommendations/notes? And are Formica Fusca even possible to keep?
There are 65 native species to Norway, including L. niger, three species of Camponotus, and F. fusca. To answer your second question, yes, they are possible to keep.
Keeper of

Selliing:

MrPixelated

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:11 am

Martialis wrote:
There are 65 native species to Norway, including L. niger, three species of Camponotus, and F. fusca. To answer your second question, yes, they are possible to keep.
Thank you so much :) any specific recommendations for a beginner?

Fulkol

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 am

MrPixelated wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:11 am
Martialis wrote:
Thank you so much :) any specific recommendations for a beginner?
L niger is pretty easy

Serafine

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 am

It's always said that Lasius niger is such an easy species and while this is true for some people it isn't for others. Lasius niger can cause antkeepers some serious trouble by completely refusing to move even in the face of impending doom, suddenly not laying any more eggs, eating eggs, developing ultra slow, all workers suddenly dying for no reason, etc.

I've seen people having far more trouble with Lasius niger than with Lasius flavus, Tetramorium sp or common Camponotus species and even Messor.

Batspiderfish

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 am

Serafine wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 am
It's always said that Lasius niger is such an easy species and while this is true for some people it isn't for others. Lasius niger can cause antkeepers some serious trouble by completely refusing to move even in the face of impending doom, suddenly not laying any more eggs, eating eggs, developing ultra slow, all workers suddenly dying for no reason, etc.

I've seen people having far more trouble with Lasius niger than with Lasius flavus, Tetramorium sp or common Camponotus species and even Messor.
I believe that niger-group Lasius are only considered beginner species because of their sheer abundance. In my experience, there's really nothing that different about keeping other ants. I'm sure that since they are branded as a beginner species, they are the ones most likely left in the hands of the newest and least accommodating hobbyists.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.