Where to catch queen ants/alates

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

HenryWong

Where to catch queen ants/alates

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:09 pm

I know AntsCanada has done several tutorials on how to catch alates, but he has been very vauge on where you can find them. Except for sidewalks, he doesn't mention anywhere else where you can find them.
Do you know where else you can find them normally?

Martialis

Re: Where to catch queen ants/alates

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Basically anywhere.
Keeper of

Selliing:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm

HenryWong wrote:I know AntsCanada has done several tutorials on how to catch alates, but he has been very vauge on where you can find them. Except for sidewalks, he doesn't mention anywhere else where you can find them.
Do you know where else you can find them normally?
I have found several in the mountains. I bring test tubes, a hammer with a claw on one end, a large screwdriver (straight head), and some featherweight tweezers. The claw of the hammer and screwdriver are for opening up rotting logs. I have found Campo and Formica species in and under rotting logs. You can also turn over larger rocks and find queens. Use featherweight tweezers to grab the queens unharmed.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

HenryWong

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:45 pm

thanks, next time i go hiking ill remember to turn over some rocks

Batspiderfish

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 am

Tearing open logs and flipping rocks will likely find you ants, but it is destructive and disrupts many animals. If you look at paths/lawns along the edges of forests, that is a very good and gentle way to find queens.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.