Did alate ants live on the colony all the time?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

MrUrrutia

Did alate ants live on the colony all the time?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello, I'm new to the ant keeping idea and I'm starting to get things ready to give it a try on the next spring-summer with some Camponatus floridanus...

But let go back to my original question, today the younger of my kids were playing outside and found a huge anthill of Solenopsis invicta (small red aggressive Son of B!!!!), as all kids without fear he poke a stick on the hill and partially remove the top layers exposing some larvae, workers and to my surprise a looooott of alate (not sure if males or females, they were mad about being disturbed so i could don't get close enough to do a visual inspection), is it common to found alate ants on the nest all the time or this unusual warm-wet winter here at florida it's affecting the basic life cycle of the colony?

Thanks!!!!

Batspiderfish

Re: Did alate ants live on the colony all the time?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Solenopsis invicta basically mates year-round, so long as conditions are favorable.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MrUrrutia

Re: Did alate ants live on the colony all the time?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 pm

wow... I was not aware of that! If it was not because they are ferocious little beasts I will try to keep a colony, but I have witnessed first hand how bad it can get with them so I pass on the FireAnts!!!

On the other hand I have see what I believe is a colony of Florida carpenter ants (Red head and thorax with black/dark abdomen, not aggressive but can give a good bite if you force them!) on a tree that it's located on my front yard, and probably there are some on the old tree on the backyard that it's almost all rotten (as far as I have read that place it's heaven for them) so I almost can be 100% sure that as soon as they are ready they will be some queens on the area.