Can Lasius Claviger queens be polygamous?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

JoeHostile

Can Lasius Claviger queens be polygamous?

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:04 pm

I have some more of these queens now and wondering if I could try a double queen introduction attempt to a Lasius neoniger colony.

JoeHostile

Re: Can Lasius Claviger queens be polygamous?

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Also I found a Lasius Claviger nest under my deck. I scooped up a handful of the workers. Any benifit of trying to give these workers to Claviger queen? Or no it won't work because they don't parisite their own kind?

JohnyDL

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 pm

I suggest not, different nests even of the same species have different pheromones you'd end up starting a war and they won't join, I've heard there are ways to have a two colonies merge by having a screen partition and letting the pheromones mingle but my guess is it can be quite distressing for all ants involved.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:16 pm

JoeHostile wrote:Also I found a Lasius Claviger nest under my deck. I scooped up a handful of the workers. Any benifit of trying to give these workers to Claviger queen? Or no it won't work because they don't parisite their own kind?
Maybe. The acanthomyops subgenus is extremely understudied in terms of the founding process. Also make sure you didn't find a Lasius umbratus or flavus group lasius nest. I know from experience that the queens don't like each other once they have a "colony"

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm

JoeHostile wrote:Also I found a Lasius Claviger nest under my deck. I scooped up a handful of the workers. Any benifit of trying to give these workers to Claviger queen? Or no it won't work because they don't parisite their own kind?
Maybe. The acanthomyops subgenus is extremely understudied in terms of the founding process. Also make sure you didn't find a Lasius umbratus or flavus group lasius nest. I know from experience that the queens don't like each other once they have a "colony"
Also, it's polygynous. polygamous or polydomous means they have satellite nests

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Of course, giving them to me is still an option ;) ;) ;) but I don't recommend it