Crematogaster not laying eggs! Help?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Martialis

Crematogaster not laying eggs! Help?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:22 am

About two weeks ago, I caught a Crematogaster queen. Since then, she has had plenty of time to lay eggs. At first I thought it was because I was disturbing her to much, but then I left her alone for a 3 or so days and still no eggs. Do these ant follow Formica ants, in that they do not lay eggs until spring? Thanks in advance.
Keeper of

Selliing:

idahoantgirl

Re: Crematogaster not laying eggs! Help?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:39 am

Martialis wrote:About two weeks ago, I caught a Crematogaster queen. Since then, she has had plenty of time to lay eggs. At first I thought it was because I was disturbing her to much, but then I left her alone for a 3 or so days and still no eggs. Do these ant follow Formica ants, in that they do not lay eggs until spring? Thanks in advance.
either they do not lay eggs until spring, or she just decided to wait a while.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Martialis wrote:About two weeks ago, I caught a Crematogaster queen. Since then, she has had plenty of time to lay eggs. At first I thought it was because I was disturbing her to much, but then I left her alone for a 3 or so days and still no eggs. Do these ant follow Formica ants, in that they do not lay eggs until spring? Thanks in advance.
By the way, I know 3 days may seem like a long time to leave your queen undisturbed, but a couple of weeks is a better timeframe ;)

This is one of the most difficult things as a new, and even an experienced, ant keeper. We just are so curious and want to check on her more often than once every two weeks. You gotta do it though!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Martialis

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

ooper01 wrote:
By the way, I know 3 days may seem like a long time to leave your queen undisturbed, but a couple of weeks is a better timeframe ;)

This is one of the most difficult things as a new, and even an experienced, ant keeper. We just are so curious and want to check on her more often than once every two weeks. You gotta do it though!
Thanks for the help! In my house, that's hard to do, as my room is directly over basically the noisiest room in my house. Even though I have her in my drawer, I feel like she still might be disturbed by other people in my household and by the slamming of other dresser drawers. Do you have any suggestions?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Mongo319

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:50 pm

There has been guys talking about using the utility closet with there water heater I was thinking about my attic it stay pretty warm all day and most of the night and it always dark

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Hmm not sure, but lots of noise and slamming dresser drawers is not good. You should do your best to find a quieter place with less movement/vibration.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ServampANT

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Martialis wrote:
ooper01 wrote:

Thanks for the help! In my house, that's hard to do, as my room is directly over basically the noisiest room in my house. Even though I have her in my drawer, I feel like she still might be disturbed by other people in my household and by the slamming of other dresser drawers. Do you have any suggestions?
Kill your family, this helps everything.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Crematogaster will hibernate before laying eggs in northern regions